Thursday, September 9, 2010

Never Let Me Go

Well shit sake you know! It's a thursday night and I am in ruins because of this movie. It's wonderful. I wish I would have read the book before, but seeing as the collaboration between Mark Romanek and Kazuo Ishiguro, the novel's author, is what produced this film I think it's safe to say it stayed true to form. This is a sci-fi film of the ages, and a love story to be studied. It's stunning, sincere and just astonishing. I can't help it but, it made me cry and I can't stop thinking about it.

Looking at the film you would never pick out the sci-fi element to the whole story but it's amazing how subtle it is and ever so present at the same time. It haunts the film to an extent and yet the aesthetic is organic and natural, lots of greenery, wool, wood, rolling landscapes. The performances are great, it's all about the subtly here. Kiera Knightly is actually good here, Carey Mulligan is too amazing I cannot wait to see what she does next, and Alex Garfield is quite astounding (not sure about spiderman but I guess we'll see) But getting every wince, and eye flutter, allowing us to see someone being stripped emotionally is what is captured so well. But it's so gradual and yet you know the outcome from fairly early on in the film. The pace, the pauses, the looks; everything is given due attention and is executed so well. Please go see this film. It will definitely leave you in a certain state but jeeze this is what film is about. It's not about what you see but what you make others see...no?

Go see this film.

Happy moviegoing!

No comments: