Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Oscar Nominations Are In! Everything As Expected

So they're in! Nothing was too surprising. But these are the things I've noted.

Best Picture: Blind Side?! Really? It wasn't even that good, but I guess they need 10 nominations so they had to it there. District 9 I'm happy for the recognition for this, but it wont win. Everything else was anticipated.

Best Actor: Yay for Jeremy Renner! Although its unlikely that he'll win. He's definitely next up after Jeff in my eyes.  His performance was amazing.

Best Actress: Well no surprises there. Meryl Streep is a force to be reckoned with. No one can touch her now. The best part is she is so bloody humble. LOVE HER!

Best Supporting Actor: Well I think it will be a travesty if Christoph doesn't win this one. But I am happy Woody Harrelson and Stanley Tucci are there.

Best Supporting Actress:  Again no real surprises here, except Penelope. I am not sure why she was nominated. I feel like her performance in Nine was the same as in Vicky Christina Barcelona.

Best Director:  KATHRYN BIGELOW! Enough said.

Best Original Screenplay: Well this looks wondrous. I am happy Quentin is being recognized again. And I am pleased to see the writers of Up there also. I am hoping it goes to Mark Boal for The Hurt Locker.

Best Adapted Screenplay: I haven't heard of In the Loop but it's safe to say that I should take a look at it. This category is a little tight. All of the nominees seem great. One thing I can say is I rather see Nick Hornby get anything over Jason Reitman. Up in the Air, was a big let down for me. It was good. But it wasn't great. And the only reason it was as good as it was was because of the genuine performances the cast gave.

Best Cinematography: Harry Potter???? Really?...How bout Bright Star anyone? I am glad to see The White Ribbon up there though. Black and White is beautiful and I can't wait to see this film. All I can say here is a really hope Avatar doesn't get this.

Best Editing: Again anything but Avatar.

Best Art Direction: Again Bright Star anyone. As long as Nine and Avatar don't win here I think I'll be pleased with any of the others taking the prize.

Best Costume:  Yay Bright Star!  All these nominations are to be expected, I am please that Coco is also up here.

Best Make-up:  Il Divo! Holy I finally saw what this is about. Why I haven't seen this, is beyond me. Toni Servillo's transformation is magic. Hope it wins.

Best Original Score: It's safe to say that Up composer, Michael Giacchino, will get this one. But I am happy Desplat got a nod here for Fantastic Mr. Fox.

Best Original Song: Faubourg 36... I heard about this film a while back but I didn't know this was in contention for anything. But I guess so. Very glad that clad of song "Cinema Italiano" wasn't nominated. Looks like "The Weary Kind" will take this.

Best Sound Mixing: I think it's safe to say that Avatar will sweep these technical awards. But you never know. A war flick might always take the cake, or even Star Trek.

Best Sound Editing: Up? Who knew. Avatar will probably take this one.

Best Visual Effects: Do I even need to write who will grab this one up.

Best Animated Feature: Ah animation, my love. The Secret of Kells was out of left field, but after seeing the trailer (which I'll post at the end of this) I'm please to see it up there. But I think Up will take it.

Best Foreign Language: The White Ribbon should get this one.

Best Documentary Film: Everyone is talking about The Cove. If you get a chance to see even some stills from this, you'll get a pretty good understanding as so why this will probably get this award.

Best Documentary Short Subject & Best Animated Short & Best Live Action Short: I am going to be seeing these all screened soon in Detroit. So I'll be putting up my thoughts later.

For now here is the trailer for The Secret of Kells. Enjoy!

Happy moviegoing folks!

No comments: